ADVICE: Engagement photos - what to expect & how to prepare.
The most important thing to do is to try to enjoy yourselves! Even if you are a little nervous, a little shy, don't know what to do with your hands....All of that is COMPLETELY normal and understandable. My job is to help you feel comfortable. The only thing you have to do is hang out with your future spouse and have as much fun as you can.
Now, to answer the practical questions:
RAIN. If it looks like rain, we’ll reschedule to our "rain date." I check the weather the day before our session.
LOCATION. We’ll visit a few different spots within a short walking distance.
TIMING. Our shoot will last about 1-2hrs.
POSING. I will give you some gentle posing direction and will also keep you moving and interacting with each other.
PROPS. Unless you are set on it, I prefer not to use props.
WHAT to WEAR:
- Wear clothes that feel like you, rather than something out of your comfort zone.
- Semi-comfortable shoes are important because we'll be walking.
- Please don’t wear matching outfits. Please.
- Think solid, neutral colors (pastels are fine too) instead of busy prints. (But if you have a fabulous print you want to wear, just do it, because rules are made to be broken.)
- Make sure your outfits work for the season and location (i.e. no stilettos on the beach or bare arms in the snow, it just looks weird).
- Accessories are awesome, but only if they are your thing, and best to stick to one or two.
- When in doubt, think classic, rather than trendy.
- Most of the locations I shoot lack a convenient way to change clothes. So if you want to bring more than one outfit please be prepared to change in your car 🙂
- Also a note about outdoor locations in general - things can get windy! Consider this when thinking about your hair. My suggestion: embrace it and have fun.
- Make sure your nails are clean and tidy.
- If you have a ring, consider cleaning it prior.
- When you arrive, take everything out of your pockets and leave your stuff at home or in your car. (I can hold your keys & phones.)
- For winter/fall: layer cozy knits, don’t be afraid to wear a coat, and make use of winter accessories.
- Here's a pinterest board for some outfit inspiration.
- And feel free to text, dm or email me with outfit ideas if you want feedback!
IMAGES. I will send a few sneak peeks a couple days after our session, and then it will take me about 3 weeks to get you all your photos!